Saturday, November 8, 2008

Trenchy, The Lovable Coffee Hobo.

So as I sit here browsing sites, learning a new language, and otherwise making superb use of my time at work...I start to ponder about everything...and I daydream far more often than I should these days, but the realization of that doesn't stop it from happening (and I suppose I don't really want it to).

In any case, about 2 weeks or so ago when heading out to Starbucks for a cup of hot green tea (which by standards of a certain ladyfriend means I'm a crotchety old guy). I caught wind (and I mean it quite literally, a real good pungent aroma) of a bearded old homeless man who I've seen traverse all over the local area before. His face was aged and his beard tangled and caked in dirt. His eyes were just sullen and tired, reminded me of all those sad commercials they put up on TV usually featuring some random celebrity followed by a slideshow of kids looking extremely pitiful. I didn't really think about it but mechanically I went into the Starbucks and bought two hot beverages and a sizeable portion of coffee cake and delivered a small meal to my new homeless friend outside.

"Are you hungry?"
(choked voice) "Sure I could use summin"
"Here you go."

It's only later I thought of why he was without a home and turned into a vagabond of the bay area. Why exactly is it that many of us are led down a path of misfortune to a fate that we otherwise could not predict. He munched on that coffee cake like he hadn't eaten in days. I wish I enjoyed all my food with that same look on his face. In any case, days later when I was driving to Target to pick up some essentialsss I saw him crossing the street while at a stoplight. He recognized me and smiled and waved (Or maybe he's just friendly and waves to everyone -_- but that takes away from my happiness.) It was probably the highlight of my day though, maybe even my week (gotta love the small things, also- sidenote, you gotta catch 'em all). I shall name him Trenchy, and he will be my Trenchy, and he will be mine.

Thanksgiving is coming up,
It's cliché but its time again to remember how good we have it, even though we should always be thankful for the 'coffeecake' we get on a daily basis anyway.

No comments: